Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Infusion

 I was re-reading "The Fenton Child" by Mavis Gallant at lunch. With fifteen minutes left until I had to return to work, I decided to take a nap in my car. When I do this, I usually take off my wristwatch and fall asleep holding it in my hand. When the watch begins to slip out of my hand, I wake for a second and check the time. This ensures that I do not oversleep.

As I drifted in and out of consciousness, I began to dream of "The Fenton Child." I did not make up new situations, but rather just floated through images of what I had read. This is the first time this has happened to me. I have never had what I was reading become infused with my dreams. It was pretty exhilarating and made the fiction seem all that more real, more than my waking imagination ever could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home