Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Great Night!

Tonight I actually met and surpassed my writing goal. Perhaps I should inform you all of what my writing goal is. Until the end of July, I want to do at least 1,000 words a day and starting on August 1, I want to do 2,000 words a day. It may sound ambitious, but it only took me 30-40 minutes to do 1,000 words tonight. It really flowed ,and I thought the writing itself was very good.

The one thing that has worried me over the past days is that this story is pretty dialogue-heavy. I have always had a hard time doing descriptions. I suppose it is an aversion to those long-winded 19th century novels I studied in Brit Lit as a teenager, where they take four pages to describe a woman standing on a wheat-covered hill thinking of her dead husband. I keep having to go back and add description. Sometimes, I find that I leave out a key detail that I wanted to include. Like in the story I am writing, I wanted the main character to pick up a child's bible off the seat of the bus. The bible is to be an instrumental clue for a revelation later in the book and I almost left out this little, important detail.

At any rate, I am content in the fact that I met my writing goal tonight and will sleep well with the 5 hours I have left to do so. (4 hours after I finish all this blogging! Stay tuned for the next entry!)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home